allison lounes

Coming to France to study French, enroll in university, or be an au pair or intern?

Sign up for updates from Paris Unraveled and get a FREE video tutorial on using CampusFrance to get your student visa. Plus, learn how Paris Unraveled will provide FREE visa assistance if you enroll in a language school with us.

What documents do you need to get your Carte Vitale?

As soon as you sign up for health insurance with one of the major providers (LMDE or SMEREP if you’re under 28), you’ll have to submit a few important documents in order to get the ball rolling on your Carte Vitale (health insurance card).

A few weeks after your enrollment, you should receive a letter in the mail with a temporary social security number (beginning in 08) and a notice that you’re officially enrolled with the ‘organisme’ you selected. While they go through the process of setting up a permanent number (beginning in 01 or 02), they’ll eventually realize that you’ve never been insured in France before. Sending the documents they require before they ask for them will facilitate the process of getting your carte vitale as quickly as possible (if it doesn’t blow their minds).

– Copy of your birth certificate with certified translation
– 2 ID photos (from the French photo machines)
– a ‘relevé d’identité bancaire’ or RIB, which provides your banking information so your reimbursements can be transferred directly into your account
– Déclaration du Choix de Médecin Traitant (Optional)

If you think you might be using your health insurance early on, you may want to select a primary care physician (Medecin traitant) early on, and submit the ‘Déclaration de choix du médecin traitant’ (CERFA form #12485). Having this form completed and on file with your insurer ensures that you get reimbursed the maximum amount possible every time you seek care. If this form is not on file when you’re treated, you may be reimbursed at a lower rate.

As soon as you get your temporary social security number, send these documents, along with a photocopy of your temporary social security card, along to the SMEREP or LMDE office so they have them on file. Then, follow up within a couple of weeks to ask for a progress report on your carte vitale.

Download the form to declare a Médecin traitant (Primary Care Physician) here: medecin_traitant.pdf

Like Us on Facebook

4 comments… add one

Leave a Comment

  • James January 13, 2017, 8:54 pm

    Hi! This webpage was quite helpful! You noted that a birth certificate is necessary to obtain a permanent social security card and number, but if I am only staying in France for an exchange program for 4 months, would I need a permanent card and number? Also, in the event that we do not bring/cant find the birth certificate, how will this affect our French social security account? It doesn’t make much sense for them to require a birth certificate when an American passport and visa should suffice. Thanks again for your help?

    • Allison Lounes January 17, 2017, 12:59 am

      You will be covered by your private health insurance during your stay. There is no way to get health coverage in 4 months. You will need to request a new birth certificate for other administrative procedures, though.

  • Flavio July 25, 2017, 10:31 pm

    Hi, it was very useful.
    Certified translate of my birth certificate means only the sworn translation or they need that a “notary” certified my Birth Certificate – according to the procedures of Haia (appostile)?
    I am asking that because my birth certificate is kind of old and im not sure how the notary can certify it (?)

  • Pauline August 2, 2017, 1:01 pm

    Hi. I’m French but I’ve never been there. I’ll go for holidays and i need to remove 2 tooth with surgery. Do you know i f can I get my carte vitale if I don’t live there? Thanks


6 easy ways to get the help you need.

1. Read free articles on Paris Unraveled.

2. Pick My Brain. Schedule a 45 minute session to ask questions about anything France.

3. Join the community.

4. Hire Allison for personalized assistance.

5. Download an ebook.

6. Attend a live workshop or webinar.