allison lounes

Coming to France to study French, enroll in university, or be an au pair or intern?

Sign up for updates from Paris Unraveled and get a FREE video tutorial on using CampusFrance to get your student visa. Plus, learn how Paris Unraveled will provide FREE visa assistance if you enroll in a language school with us.

The Complete Guide to Your Convention de Stage

If you’re doing an internship in France, by law you are required to write and sign a document known as a “convention de stage.” A convention de stage is basically a work contract for an internship position, outlining the details of your employment and how it fits into your course of study.

While sample conventions de stage can be found online, it’s important to know what elements are required before presenting one to your potential employer. And before you go ahead and write your own, be sure to check with both the company and your university to see if they have a standard version that they use.

Here’s what every convention de stage needs to cover:

1) Identify the Parties to the Internship Contract

The typical convention de stage is an agreement between three parties: you, the company, and the university where you are completing your degree. Note that the last one is especially important because you are required to be an enrolled student in order to complete an internship in France.

The first section of the convention de stage will be very brief, and name all three parties:

• You, the student
  • The director of the company or human resources employee, and the company itself
  • Your advisor and your university

2) Outline the Internship’s Learning and Professional Objectives

Internships in France must have a clearly defined educational objective, and link to the student’s course of study. The second section of the convention de stage should identify the skill that the intern will learn during the internship and discuss how the internship fits into the student’s education and professional development.

This section should also provide a list of the intern’s main duties and projects, showing that the internship will consist of more than mere photocopying and require use of the intern’s unique skillset.

3) Hash Out the Nitty-Gritty

Section 3 should include all relevant details about the logistics of your internship, including the following information:

The days of the week you’ll work and what your work schedule (hours) will be.

• If you’ll have to work weekends, nights, or holidays
  • The length of the internship, including start and end dates
  • If there’s a possibility of renewing or extending the internship upon completion, if all parties agree
  • The name of your boss in the internship (responsable)
  • The name of your advisor in your university who will be responsible for overseeing the internship and reviewing your rapport de stage
  • The payment you’ll receive and any benefits in kind available to you. Note that internships over 2 months must always be paid.
  • Your insurance and responsabilité civile
  • The clauses of the “reglèment intérieur” that you’ll have to follow while working at the company. Even though you’re not a salaried employee, you can still be required to follow company and industry rules for dress code, safety, training, confidentiality, etc.
  • What types of absences will be permitted, and how you should notify your employer about them, and if you will have any mandatory absences for school events (courses and conferences) or administration (think OFII, préfecture)
  • How the contract can be broken. Make sure there is a clause for each party being able to end the agreement. While many conventions de stage will allow the school or the employer to end the contract prematurely, you want to make sure that you also have recourse to end it if you feel you’re not learning anything or you don’t fit into the company culture.

Note that after signing the contract, these cannot be modified without the written agreement of all three signatories.

4) Specify How You’ll Be Evaluated

Your internship will certainly be graded if it’s part of an educational program, so you’ll need to discuss the criteria for grading with your advisor in your program.

There are two commonly required evaluations to be completed:

The Internship Evaluation

The Internship Evaluation (or évaluation de stage) is a document that asks you to summarise your experiences within the company and give feedback to your university. This document is primarily for the university (and your advisor) to see how you felt about the company, whether you thought you learned anything, and whether you felt you worked on valuable projects that increased your skills. After all, learning is the point of the internship.

This document will likely be kept at the school and NOT transmitted to the company, although you should ask your advisor if any criticism will remain confidential.

The Rapport de Stage

The Rapport de Stage is a written document of 15-50 pages detailing your internship, the projects you worked on, and showing your understanding of the company you worked for. It is typically submitted both to your advisor at the school AND your responsable de stage in the company, so you will want to be diplomatic.

Check out the guide to writing a rapport de stage here.

And that’s it!

Once you’ve determined all of the elements in these 4 sections, you should get the convention de stage in 3 originals. Your university and the company’s human resources department will sign and stamp the documents, and you will sign as well.

Then, you can start working!

Like Us on Facebook

71 comments… add one

• mohammad sharayreh September 22, 2014, 6:55 am

i am from Jordan , i have got an opportunity to internship in France as( observational training course) and i found that this ( convention de stage) is a mandatory for visa purpose . my institution dos not have such this form as a unit but what convention de stage is required i get as separate formal papers not as a form with title of ( convention de stage) and as result , the french embassy in Jordan did not give me the visa.
    i suggest this agreement to be issue or subject between the the student and the host not to be as part of visa requirements or not to be as one form that must be titled with ( convention de stage). Q : why this form is required just in France and may be in spain while the rest of European countries do not .

• Allison Lounes September 22, 2014, 11:54 am

This form is required in France because it is the law that you have to get university credit for doing an internship, and because work contracts are required for any type of job in France. Your company can provide you with a sample convention de stage, or you can find one online. It must be signed by the company hiring you and a representative from the university where you are currently enrolled.

• Anil February 10, 2015, 8:18 pm

Dear
        I am a medical doctor one of the hospital in Paris has offered me one year training and upon visa process I was asked for “Convention de Stage”(Internship agreement) document. I asked it to my hospital professor but he didn’t get it. How do I make the document and from where do I get the form? Is it necessary to be signed by Direccte from Police office in Paris? I was told so from visa office.

Thanks

• Hannah March 26, 2015, 2:38 pm

Hi Allison ! First of all, I just want to say that I’ve found your blog to be incredibly helpful since I’ve been an English teaching assistant here. I think I already know the answer to my question, but I’m in contact with a company recruiting for interns (a six-month internship); they said I must have a convention de stage, and since I already graduated, I’m not enrolled in a university. Would it be possible to get one if I enrolled in a language school, or is that stretching it too far ? It’s frustrating because I’m really interested in the company, but internships are all they are looking for at the moment ! Anyways, I hope you see this comment, and I’d be so grateful if you took a moment to reply. Thank you !

• Allison Lounes March 29, 2015, 12:02 am

No, you cannot get a convention de stage from a language school. You could possibly enroll in a degree program in France and get one.

• Timi July 7, 2015, 11:25 pm

Dear Allison,

Your article was very helpful for me. I have the same problem as Hannah. I wanted to enroll to a language school but now I know that it’s not a way to do a stage.
    I’m from Hungary but I’m in Paris since February but my French is worse than poor. I was/am taking a fashion course so now I am a student until the 11th of September. But after that I don’t know what to do because I would want to start the internship from September or October.
    How can I enroll to a degree program if I don’t have any papers that I speak French?
    I really need your help because I’m desperate now that I realized that the language course will not work out.

Have a nice evening,
    Timi

• Allison Lounes July 8, 2015, 2:22 pm

I sent you an email, Timi.

• Amaan February 16, 2016, 10:23 am

Hi alison

I have the same problem as timi. Could you pleas e advice me aswell

• Evangelos February 6, 2017, 1:41 am

Hi Alison! i have the same problem with the others. i found an internship in France, but i am not a student anymore. Can you help me somehow?

• Ali July 18, 2015, 12:13 pm

Dear Allison,

Your article is very helpful for me. I am also in the same situation as Timi: I will graduate in September from leading French business school and I want to do an internship. However, since I will not be a student any longer after September, I cannot get internship agreement from my current school. I need your help if possible: How can I enroll to degree program in English in order to be eligible for internship with “Convention de Stage”. Thank you a lot

• Marcela August 18, 2015, 10:44 am

Dear Allison
    I’m in the same situation as Timi and Ali. I have an internship from September 1st onwards in Paris, have been knocking on all my former school’s doors in Zurich and no one can help me. Do you have any suggestions? I’m really desperate as I’d have to be in Paris within 10 days. Thanks a mill!

• Allison Lounes August 19, 2015, 7:58 pm

Hi Marcela,

If you’d like my assistance enrolling in a university program for Sept 1 so you can do your internship, you can contact me or take a look at the details of the program I provide: http://www.parisunraveled.com/visa-application-preparation-service/. However, we would have to get started extremely fast and I’m not sure we’d be able to meet the Sept 1 deadline. Please email me and we’ll talk.

• Walaa August 31, 2015, 8:45 pm

i got an internship in France for 3 months in the context of 3 months training program from a medical organization in Vienna . When I applied for my visa the consulate asked me for a convention de stage for a maximal period of 30 days training !! I require all the 3 month in order to get my certificate and the hosting hospital agree so what could be the problem?!

• Allison Lounes September 1, 2015, 12:20 am

A convention de stage is a written contract between you, your school/university, and your employer that outlines the conditions of your internship. It’s required for all internships in France, and must be sent to DiRECCTE (Direction Régionale des Entreprises, de la Connsomation, de la Concurrence, du Travail, et de l’Emploi) and approved by them before you can get your visa. The hospital should know this and should have provided one.

• walaa September 1, 2015, 1:37 pm

thank you very much for your kind reply. my question is : when i read on the consulate website i did not find any thing that explain to me why the consulate asked my for a convention d`stage for a maximum period of 30 days and not for the 3 month period required for my training program !!! so in such situation what should i do to get my whole period required for the program ?
        is there a way to get in contact through private email?

• Talisa September 4, 2015, 3:58 am

Hi Allison – Thanks for you email! I am in some trouble myself in trying to obtain a convention de stage within a matter of two weeks to secure a very rare internship in Paris. I really don’t want to miss this opportunity but am a graduate. Do you know of any short courses I could enrol in, or whether it can be obtained through an online course?

Your help would be so valued ! Thanks

• Kai October 6, 2015, 6:21 pm

Hi Allision, may I know how long does it usually take for the DiRECTE to process my agreement? Thank you so much, your articles are extremely helpful!

• Allison Lounes October 7, 2015, 11:21 am

2 months

• Claire October 19, 2015, 8:25 pm

Hi Allison. Really helpful blog. I have a PVT VISA (travel and vacation) and I am no longer a student (I graduated a while ago). My VISA doesn’t allow me to enroll in a school here in Paris and since I’m not associated with a university, I can’t intern for a company. I found a company that would like me to work for them – but they can’t offer a paid position right now, so they just offer internships. Is being a volunteer similar in Paris – or does the company need different papers, insurance? Is there any way to work without pay for this company without the title of “internship”?
    Your advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

• Allison Lounes October 20, 2015, 10:50 pm

Um, you can’t volunteer for a for-profit company. You need a convention de stage.

• Alanah December 2, 2015, 7:06 pm

Is 2 months the average time for approval no matter what time of year? Is there a way to expedite the process?

• Allison Lounes December 3, 2015, 4:49 pm

2 months is the maximum approval time, but in busy cities I doubt it would ever be much faster than that. There’s no way to expedite the process, which means you need to have your convention de stage signed 2 months before your visa appointment date.

• sai pradeep makireddi December 9, 2015, 2:22 pm

hi,
    i got an internship for 8 months in nantes, actually i was exchange student from india to polytech orleans for 1 semester but now my learning agreement between indian university and the polytech orleans going to be end in december. so i will become an indian student but my internship is going to be started in january 2016. so can you help me how to get convention de stage. can you please send me a sample convention de stage form if possible
    thanking you in advance

• YL December 23, 2015, 12:24 pm

Hi Allison,

I graduated from the a university in Scotland this year and have got an internship offer in Paris. The issue is that I am not a student anymore. Do you know if my university in Scotland could write this convention de stage? Would it work if I enrol in a Ecole du Soir such as CNAM and can get the convention de stage?

Thanks very much for your help,

YL

• michelle December 30, 2015, 5:24 pm

hi allison, ur blog is very helpful. however, is it possible u can share me a copy of a convention de stage? i am having difficulty making one and im worried i dont get it done as my training is very near already. thank u in advance. i am hoping you reply to me.

-michelle

• Andrea January 22, 2016, 4:46 pm

Great Article Allison and very helpful . i would like too found it some months ago. It was really hard for me to understand the system and all the forms required to do an internship in France. I was in deep despair to find the convention de stage as i leaved my school some months before. if some people have the same problem i could find it by an easy way with a website called bestudentagain.Oh and i think your easy steps to write good rapport de stage will be very helpful for me !

• Virginie Abondance January 24, 2016, 5:42 pm

Hi all,
    I had problem also two years ago to get a “convention de stage” and i get an advice from a friend : Be Student again is a website where you can subscribe for an online course and then get easily a “convention de stage” for a six month intership. I think this is the place to share the tip ! Good luck !

• Allison Lounes January 25, 2016, 4:20 pm

I’m not sure that would still work due to recent rule changes.

• Pecine ADALRIC January 30, 2016, 10:55 am

What do you mean exactly by rule changes ?

• Allison Lounes January 31, 2016, 1:18 pm

There was a law passed last year adding a whole bunch of new requirements for internships, including more strict oversight by the university program (providing a tutor for the student).

• Pecorino February 7, 2016, 10:58 pm

Okay Thank you Allison, i will check because i’m quite sure that there are tutors in the university you are registered in

• Maxima youdom February 8, 2016, 9:32 am

Thank you very much for these helpful tips. I am currently a registered student at a university in Germany and I am interested in getting an internship in France, the problem is the internship is not mandatory, but within the framework of an Erasmus program I can get a similar document called Learning agreement which meet nearly all the condition you described above except the last one where I have to submit a report and get a grade, since the internship is not mandatory but could be seen as complementary to my training. Is this learning agreement enough for a voluntary internship? Thank you

• Allison Lounes February 8, 2016, 8:29 pm

Yes, that should work.

• Justine February 8, 2016, 3:43 pm

Dear Allison!

Today I learnt I got accepted for an internship in the international enterprise in Paris, but they require Convention de Stage. I’m not French ( but european) and since I graduated from my University in November 2015, I’m no longer a student. Could you please advise me something ? I’m hopeless and this is the biggest opportunity in my life. Thanks a lot in advance.

• Allison Lounes February 8, 2016, 8:29 pm

You need to be a currently enrolled student to do an internship in France. It’s the law.

• Chakshu Deora February 22, 2016, 7:47 pm

Hi, I am selected for 3 month internship in france. I have one query that do I need to fill internship agreement (convention de stage) only in French ? If not, where could i find the internship agreement form in English.

Please Reply if any one have idea.

Thanks

• Allison Lounes February 24, 2016, 2:56 pm

It is a legal contract in France, so it must be in French.

• Vipul Raval February 26, 2016, 6:36 am

My question is about approval of “convention de stage”.
    Does it need some kind of approval from French Government, after signing by all three parties.

• Allison Lounes February 27, 2016, 2:27 am

If you’re using it to get a visa, yes.

If you’re just using it as a student, no, but it is a legal contract and has to meet certain requirements.

• Regina March 22, 2016, 3:26 pm

Hi Allison,

I want to ask how to get the French Government approval if i already have the Convention de Stage signed by 3 parties. Because i learned that it’s required to obtain a visa. Thanks..

• Allison Lounes March 23, 2016, 1:54 pm

You submit it to the consulate who submits it to DIRECCTE.

• Matthew March 1, 2016, 4:07 pm

Hi Allison,

I have been offered an internship in the South of France and need to get my convention de stage done. I however graduated in July 2015, could I get an old tutor to sign it or is there any way you can help me complete this? I start the internship on the 11th of April. Please help me I really really want this internship.

Thanks

• Romain Adon March 13, 2016, 6:46 pm

i warmly recommand you to call be student again; they can help you very quickly to get the Convention de stage you need: even it s not free; it is cheap enough to ask for it

• Megan March 17, 2016, 12:45 am

Hi Allison,

do you know if it is possible to do two internships at the same time in France and essentially have 2 conventions de stages?
    Alternatively, do you know if you can do an internship whilst also having a full time job in Paris?

The reason I am asking is because the one internship is only a few hours a week and in the evening whereas the other one is a full-time position, hence I would like to do both.

Thanks for your help!

• Anastasia shepeleva March 24, 2016, 8:10 pm

Good evening allison,
    i got accepted for internship in paris for 3 months, this summer. im not a european citizen, i am a soon to be graduate (June 2016) student at Le Cordon Bleu Istanbul.
    So what should i do, it is a huge deal for me…
    Thanks for your help,

• adalric March 27, 2016, 9:56 pm

Hi Megan,
    i don t Think this is possible, the Labour lows are strict in France !i m afraid tou have to choose

• Uğur Sahut April 21, 2016, 10:49 pm

Thank you very much for these helpful tips. I ve been accepted for erasmus internship in France for 3 months. It is not mandotory and i am not going to receive any payment for this time period. I have acceptance letter, learning agreement, letter of intent and the file prepared by Campus France which is called CEF. Can one of these replace convention de stage ?

• Allison Lounes April 22, 2016, 2:36 pm

No, you must have a convention de stage as well, signed by your university.

• Uğur Sahut April 22, 2016, 3:53 pm

I have one more question; do i have to send the papers to the company ın France to begin the 2 months time period; i mean can i start the period by applyng without papers to save papers transfer time.

• Allison Lounes April 22, 2016, 4:24 pm

I don’t know what you mean by ‘applying without papers.’ Can you apply to companies without having a convention de stage? Yes. You won’t have one until you know exactly what the internship entails anyway. Can you apply for a visa without a convention de stage? No.

• uğur sahut April 22, 2016, 4:45 pm

i am sorry for wrong words, let me try again, how it takes two months, is the company going to give the ful conventagion de stage to dirrecte and take the confirmed papers 2 months later or the dirrecte will give us a date to confirm the papers. because i have no time, so need to make it as early as possible. İ dont want to wait 10-15 days for papers transfer to France.

• Colin M Critoph May 16, 2016, 3:16 pm

I had a question regarding, I had misunderstood the way internships work in France and took two interviews and was accepted to a very good company, with good responsibilities and fair compensation (for an internship).

I’m a dual canadian/french citizen, and in my program in Canada they don’t provide credit towards your program for an internship. I’ve been accepted as a transfer student to the American University of Paris but I feel like it’s a stretch to accept admission only to ask to directly jump into an internship.

Do you still advise people on their options?

• Ana July 4, 2016, 10:51 pm

Hi Allison,

First of all thanks for sharing all these info with us in this blog, it’s really useful!

I’m a non-EU citizen and I’m about to start a 6-month internship in Paris 20 days from now. I’ve already passed through Campus France, but I can’t move on to the next step (the Consulate) because I still haven’t received the original convention de stage in paper, stamped by Direccte, by post..

And I’m seriously worried I won’t be able to be in France before the starting date of my internship. Do you think there would be a problem if I arrive a bit later?

I believe the company itself would be okay with it, since they’re struggling with the convention as well, but I worry about the OFII, customs or the consulate itself.

Many thanks,
    Ana

• STAGE 4 u July 26, 2016, 11:26 am

Bonjour et merci pour tous ces commentaires sur les stages.
    Si vous recherchez un stage en France, je vous conseille notre site : stage4u.fr
    il contient les meilleures offres du moment et est totalement gratuit.
    Merci

• Jarrett August 12, 2016, 9:02 pm

Allison,

I am a Baker in California. My boss is good friends with a baker in Southern France who has said I could come observe and learn bakery production. I am not student but this 2 week trip will be paid and sponsored by my company in California. How could I write a Convention de Stage that does not include an educational institution?

– Jarrett

• Allison Lounes August 15, 2016, 10:16 pm

You can’t. If you’re an intern, you HAVE to be enrolled in an accredited academic program. However, your situation sounds more like ‘salarié en mission’ or something.

• ilene hacker August 15, 2016, 12:11 pm

Hi Allison,

I cannot find any information on the web regarding the convention de stage- after it’s been signed. I know I need to send it to either DIRECCTE or to the Prefecture, but the prefecture does not seem to know anything about this (of course). I also don’t know how many copies I should send to (whoever) and if it needs to be accompanied by anything else (such as a copy of my passport? ). Any information on your end would be great!

• Allison Lounes August 15, 2016, 10:17 pm

Your convention de stage has to be approved by DIRECCTE before you can get your visa from the consulate.

• Sophie August 17, 2016, 6:46 pm

Hey Allison,
    I have just sent my convention de stage to the French labor department to be approved for an internship in the French Alps.
    About how long does it usually take for this document to be approved?

• Allison Lounes August 19, 2016, 5:10 pm

To DIRECCTE? 6-8 weeks.

• Polad August 22, 2016, 2:03 am

Hello Allison,
    Apparently, french labor department does not approve internship agreements in certain countries. How can I find out about the list of those countries?

• Regina September 6, 2016, 8:01 pm

Dear Allison,

thank you so much for all the useful information. I have just one question, after signing the “convention de stage.” is there any further administration the university needs to do towards the french authorities? It is a rare thing at my university that someone applies to abroad for an internship and they would like to know if there is any other commitment they need fulfill during this process. Also, do I have to send somewhere the “Rapport de stage” to somewhere in France?

Many thanks for your answer,

Regina

• RAGHU October 11, 2016, 2:02 pm

Dear Ms.Alison
    Greetings to you,

Trust your well and good.

I am currently doing my master;s Degree Internship at France. Now I am in Final level, Am I allowed to do Internship again with different company.. Which Contract is easy to give from company point of view CDI or CDD…

Hope I get reply you

Thanks in advance

• youness ahmed charif October 25, 2016, 9:16 pm

Hi

I am an actual student in the University of Massachusetts Boston and i have found an internship in paris , and my university agreed to give me an internship agreement document which is in english , can this be considered as a convention de stage , would it be a problem because it is written in English and not French ?

• Allison Lounes October 27, 2016, 11:20 am

The document needs to be in French to be approved by DIRECCTE.

• gaelle December 11, 2016, 1:10 pm

You can easily find an internship agreement with bestudentagain. A reliable website to have your internship agreement in french from different universites in the world

• Allison Lounes December 12, 2016, 2:24 pm

French law requires 200 hours of education WITH PHYSICAL PRESENCE in a university in order to get a convention de stage. Sites like BeStudentAgain do not meet this requirement and technically the conventions de stage they provide are not legally allowed. Students sometimes pay lots of money for these conventions de stage and then can’t use them because the company rejects them. I am working on a video warning students about those companies.

• Rahul Pandey October 26, 2016, 8:31 am

Hello Ma’am

I have submitted the filled Convention de stage on 21st September and my internship should start from December 16. Can you please guide me when will I get my internship agreement. As I have to apply for visa too. What if I am late in getting the agreement

6 easy ways to get the help you need.

1. Read free articles on Paris Unraveled.

2. Pick My Brain. Schedule a 45 minute session to ask questions about anything France.

3. Join the community.

4. Hire Allison for personalized assistance.

5. Download an ebook.

6. Attend a live workshop or webinar.