allison lounes

Coming to France to study French, enroll in university, or be an au pair or intern?

Sign up for updates from Paris Unraveled and get a FREE video tutorial on using CampusFrance to get your student visa. Plus, learn how Paris Unraveled will provide FREE visa assistance if you enroll in a language school with us.

Stay in France After Finishing Your Degree with an Authorisation Provisoire du Séjour

If you’re working on a master’s degree in France and would like the opportunity to stay in France and work upon obtaining your diploma, you can be eligible to apply for an “Authorisation Provisoire de Séjour” to enable you to search for a job once your program ends.

The Authorisation Provisoire de Séjour, or APS, is a special type of student carte de séjour that enables you to look for work for several months following the completion of a degree program equivalent to a master’s degree or higher. When you apply for an APS, you can remain in France on your student status for up to one year while applying to be hired in a CDI work contract.

During your job search, your student status enables you to work part-time (up to 964 hours per year) in any job, regardless of whether it’s related to your degree.

Who is eligible for APS?

Any student who completes at least a Master’s degree in an accredited institution of higher education in France is eligible to apply for APS. Students with engineering, accounting or medical degrees, and those with a doctorate or technology degree are also eligible.

Students from certain countries are not eligible for a the one-year APS because their countries have special work exchange programs with France. You can find a complete list of non-eligible students and the special agreements that apply to them here.

How do I apply for APS?

APS takes a long time to process, so you have to file your application at least 4 months before your student carte de séjour expires.

In regions like Paris, where there are many applications, you should apply 6 months in advance.

Once you have the required documents, you will have to go to the préfecture de police or the sous-préfecture for your residence to file the application.

What documents do I have to provide?

To be eligible for an Authorisation Provisoire de Séjour, you should provide the following documents:

  • 3 passport photos
  • Your valid carte de séjour, expiring at least 4-6 months in the future
  • A diploma or an “attestation de réussite”

If you’re applying for APS 6 months in advance, you may not yet have received your diploma from the school. In that case, you’ll have to provide an “attestation de réussite” on university letterhead stating that you’re passing your classes and on track to receive your diploma at the end of the school year.

Once you have received your diploma, you can bring it back to the préfecture to be added to your file.

Can my request for APS be refused?

As long as the graduating student provides all the proper documents within the correct time frame, the APS request normally cannot be refused by the préfecture.

The préfecture can only refuse the request if the unemployment statistics for the student’s field meet specific thresholds. The refusal must come when the student presents the work contract in a field plagued by high unemployment, and not before.

What kind of job do I have to find under APS?

Once you’re under APS, you can start looking for any full time job in relation with your diploma. The job you take has to meet the following conditions:

  • Be a CDD or CDI
  • Be paid at least 1.5 times the SMIC, or at least €2.168 per month (in 2014)
  • Have something to do with your degree
  • Be paid comparably to other French salaried workers in the same company

Once you have a job that meets those conditions, you can bring your work contract to the préfecture within 15 days to request a change of status to a one-year salaried worker carte de séjour.

If you’re under APS, the company that hires you does NOT have to prove that no qualified employees can be hired from within the French market, which is normally required for companies sponsoring foreign employees.

How much does APS cost?

A change of status from student to authorisation provisoire de séjour is free and valid for one year.

Once you have been hired to work for a company, however, you must change your status from APS to salaried worker with 15 days.

In this case, your employer will pay a tax to OFII. The tax is equal to 55% of one month of gross salary, up to a maximum 2.5 times the SMIC. This means that your employer will pay up to €1.987 (55% of €3.613, currently 2.5 times the SMIC of €1.445,38). This tax is only due once, and is payable on contracts of more than 1 year.

You will have to pay a fee of €241 in timbres fiscaux on your first carte de séjour – salarié, and €87 each year to renew.

Like Us on Facebook

Comments on this entry are closed.

  • sumanth January 4, 2015, 3:51 am


    Let’s just say I am doing my Master’s degree in france and did not finish it, can I be hired by a company for CDI? How I found the company was through the internship working 6 months with it during my Masters.

    • Allison Lounes January 4, 2015, 6:47 pm

      Hi Sumanth,

      The company can hire you, but they will have to sponsor your visa so you can switch your status. This means they have to pay taxes to OFII and prove that no current applicants on the French job market can do this particular job. If you complete 2 years of study in France, the company no longer has to prove they haven’t found a suitable employee who already has French working papers.

  • Jillian May 19, 2015, 8:56 pm

    Where do I make my appointment for the prefecture? Or do I go without one?

    • Allison Lounes May 24, 2015, 9:47 pm

      Sometimes you can make an appointment online, but it depends on your département.

  • Hesham Ali May 22, 2015, 11:03 am

    Hello Allison

    Hope you are doing great

    Is the APS process still the same as above ? And what if my carte de sejoour has a different address. For example ; I’m currently in Grenoble but I want to do the APS on Paris , is this applicable

    Thanks & highly appreciated

    Hesham Ali

    • Allison Lounes May 24, 2015, 9:48 pm

      Yes, you can just inform the préfecture of your change of address.

  • Arun Ghosh June 1, 2015, 2:13 pm

    Hello.. what if i am going out the country? Can i submit the application online?

    • Allison Lounes June 5, 2015, 8:12 pm

      No. Applications are always made in person at the préfecture of your département.

  • Kate June 2, 2015, 9:45 pm

    Hi Allison,

    Thanks for the tips. So if I get an APS and am hired, the employer doesn’t need to prove that they searched for qualified people in the EU? Seems too simple! What about the following year, will the employer have to provide proof then? Seems like getting a masters might be a smooth way into avoiding work visa sponsorship hassles.

    Please let me know if this is true!


    • Allison Lounes June 3, 2015, 9:26 pm

      This is true. They still have to pay the OFII tax, though, which is 55% of one month’s salary. Some companies don’t want to pay it.

      • Kate June 16, 2015, 6:47 pm

        Thank you!

  • karan Nanda June 6, 2015, 11:42 am

    Hi Allison,

    My student visa expires in September 2015, but i will get my degree in December 2015. can i still apply for APS?

    thanks in advance.

  • Jess June 16, 2015, 11:39 am

    Hello Allison,

    I graduate from ESC Rennes with the programe MSc International Marketing, I just got this master diploma this June 2015.
    I want to apply the APS as well and before I went to Préfecture Paris 18two times, they refused me to hand in the documents because of the MSc program. But I totally don’t understand why I can’t apply APS with this program, it’s also the master degree, the Bac+5.
    And as to my friend, she is also apply APS, and she got it with no doubt, we were in the same program and same class. But she applied her visa out of Paris.
    There’s no written that I can’t apply this on the list of Préfecture.

    Thank you and have a nice day!

    Warm regards,

    • Allison Lounes June 16, 2015, 9:41 pm

      They’re real jerks up at Boulevard Ney, unfortunately. I would try going to Ile de la Cité and asking for help.

      • Jess June 17, 2015, 11:33 am

        Hello Allison,

        Thank you for your help!

        I think the Prefecture Paris 18, they were fooling me around but to apply this visa, I can just go there to change my status of visa.
        Hope there’s a way to solve that.

        Thank you again and wish you a lovely day!

        Kind regards,

        • Lina November 4, 2015, 11:47 am

          Hello Jess and Allison,

          So did you receive your APS? Did you try a third time?

          I have also the same issue (I did the same Masters ESC Rennes IM) got the diplome on June 2015.

          Let me know please!!

          • AD December 4, 2015, 12:27 pm

            Goodday Allison,

            A lot of ESC Rennes Here! #Rennesgang 🙂
            I intend to apply for the APS and I have been getting some promising interviews, the problem however is that my diploma is due in June so I haven’t received and I am currently doing my internship which ends in February. Is it possible that I can get it without the diploma in hand yet?

            Thank you

          • Allison Lounes December 4, 2015, 4:05 pm

            If you have a job offer you can switch directly to salarié without going through APS.

        • Prapoorn Kashyap December 9, 2015, 11:34 am

          Hi Jess,

          I read through your question and all that you had to go through Paris Prefecture. I am curious to know, if you got it sorted and how ?? You response would help me out as I have heard the the same from people and would have to visit the prefecture soon. Await to hear from you. Thank you and a good day 🙂

  • Praveen Ethiraj June 30, 2015, 10:52 am


    I am currently on an APS visa which is due to expire by the end of August. I have recently had a series of promising interviews with a french company and things were looking sort of bright until recently when they told me that they need at least 3 months to change my visa status and that it would be problematic for me. Now, they’re asking me if I can do something to extend the duration of the stay by a few months. Could yyou advise me in this regard please?

    If I understood correctly, does the website ( tell me that I may be given a new récépissé in the meantime?

    Best Regards,
    Praveen Ethiraj

    • Allison Lounes June 30, 2015, 1:34 pm

      When you file for the change of status, they will give you a récipissé valid 3 months. Who told you they needed 3 months to change your status? Your employer, or the préfecture?

  • nandhini July 1, 2015, 2:47 pm

    Hi Allison,

    Hope you are doing well!!
    My student visa expires in September 2015 but I will officially be getting my degree only in December. As you mentioned in your post, I got a certificate from my school. I get varied opinion that if I apply now, I will get a recipisse valid until december and I need to again apply in december for APS. Is that true or can I directly apply for APS now ? How does it work.
    Thanks much in advance for your reply!!

  • Jess July 1, 2015, 7:39 pm

    Hello Allison,

    I wrote an email again to Préfecture Boulevard Ney, there’s the response from them:

    “Suite à votre message, votre diplôme n ‘est pas éligible à l’APS. En effet, le Msc est un Bac +6 mais ne confère pas le grade de Master comme exigé par la loi.”

    But my diploma is Bac+5 not +6 and why my classmate she can successfully apply APS with the same diploma?

    Thank you so much!

    Best wishes,

  • Praveen Ethiraj July 2, 2015, 10:57 pm


    Thank you for your reply Allison. I was told 3 months by the company with whom I’m having the interviews.

    Praveen Ethiraj

  • venky July 3, 2015, 11:59 pm

    Allison, i’m persuing my masters in ecole centrale de nantes but currently i’m doing my stage in belgium. my titre de séjour is going to expire on septetmber is there any possible ways to apply APS. how this works for student in belgium?

    Thanks a lot!
    Venkatesh venky

    • Allison Lounes July 5, 2015, 4:24 pm

      Hi Venky,

      You’re welcome to schedule a Pick My Brain session with me so we can take a look at your situation.

  • MAyank Shekhar Jha July 21, 2015, 6:28 pm

    Hello Allison,
    Thank you very much for this excellent information. I would need your valuable guidance for a matter that concerns me very much. Let me explain my situation.

    I am of Indian nationality.
    I have done masters here in france (one year on student visa).
    I am a PHD student currently. I have BOURSE and not a salary. But I have carte de sejour as “Scientifique researcher” and NOT etudient (student).
    I have had this “Scientifique researcher” visa for last 3 years.

    My contract ends in NOV 2015. and i defend my thesis in December. Thus, must extend visa for one month compulsorily.

    Now, I wanted to take the advantage of APS to extend my sejour from December onwards for two years.

    Please make following clear for me and guide me for the same.

    1. Can i apply for APS 2 years , being on scientifique rechercher status? i am not salaried and i can show attestation about it.
    If so, when exactly?….may be in october?………
    so as i need to extend my visa anyways till december, is it good to extend the scientific visa till december first (based upon the attestation provided by university) and then apply for the APS?….

    2. If APS can not be given on “Scientifique researcher”, then what are the ways ahead?.
    ..can i change my “Scientifique researcher” status to “Student” status by showing the attestion of contract and bourse?
    and apply for extension till December first and later, apply for APS?

    3. can APS be ontained on the basis of master degree done in 2012?….

    4. are doctoral students considered for APS and on which status?….”Scientifique researcher” or “Student”.

    Please advice me . i would be very grateful for the same.

    Sincere Regards,/

    • Allison Lounes July 24, 2015, 12:36 pm

      Mayank, I emailed you.

      • Chia-Hsin WANG August 10, 2015, 10:34 am

        Dear Allison, I want to know the detail about this, could you also email to me too? I have the similar questions Mayank has. Thanks a lot
        And also

  • Tyler July 27, 2015, 8:00 pm


    I have a similar question to another poster. That is, what is the best course of action if our visa expires in September but we expect to receive our diplôme at a later date, perhaps November/December? Should I plan to turn my dissertation in as early as possible (May of next year, as opposed to August) to try and avoid this problem?

    Thanks in advance,

    • Allison Lounes July 29, 2015, 2:59 pm

      No, you can renew your student visa for an additional year as long as you are still enrolled.

      • Tyler August 15, 2015, 6:23 pm

        Perhaps I should clarify. I will be technically finishing as a student (next) September when my visa/TS expires, having finished everythign and turned in my mémoire in August at the latest. I am planning to convert to an APS but don’t know how that will work if I won’t actually have my diplôme validated until November/December following the expiration of my student visa in September.

  • Gireesh August 5, 2015, 2:52 pm

    Hai am gireesh ..i completed my Msc of international business in working as a chefcuisiner job in restuarant in Nice, france.i can apply for elgible to APS visa in Nice prefecture….my visa its going to expire on coming october 2015…please …?

  • Vivek Thakare August 6, 2015, 4:15 pm

    Hello Allison,
    Thank you very much for your posts!
    Your blogs are very informative and helpful to tackle the bureaucratic hassles.
    My concern was similar to that of Mayank Shekhar Jha, could you also please forward me the solution to the problem he posted?
    Best Regards,

  • Nikhil August 6, 2015, 4:15 pm

    I have to ask you some of my queries that I have regarding APS visa for job search.

    1) I am from India and was doing my Master which I have finished. Now I am holding APS visa. I want to return back to India for some time. How long I can stay in India on APS visa? Would I be in trouble if I stay for 7 months and then return back?

    2) I would like doing another degree, let’s say another Master degree on some specialization.
    2nd Master is possible again in France? Would APS be given again for my 2nd Master? or is it only one time offer throughout your lifetime?

  • Nikhil August 6, 2015, 4:24 pm

    Hi again,

    What’s your opinion on APS to be extended for another year. This is only for Indians. As per the act that has been lodged recently during the visit of our prime minister. He proposed this term. Is that true, if it could get extended for another year for Indians?

    Thanks in advance…

  • Nimish August 6, 2015, 7:24 pm

    Hi Allison,

    Could you clarify a few things for me.

    I will finish my masters (M2) in september. (I was directly admitted to M2 and did 1 year here in France). Right now, I am doing an Internship and I am being offered a 6 month contract by the same company.

    Q1. Do i have to wait till Sept (when I get the completion cert) from my university to get a contract?
    Q2 If they offer me a CDI for 6 months..will it mean I continue to be on the APS or will they file for my status change? They seem to suggest I can simply work on my APS for 6 months without filing for a change of status from student to employee. IS that possible?

    Q3 Now the APS is 1 year….In case the 6 month contract offered to me is possible on an APS status (without changing to Employee status by filing Tax), does that imply that after 6 month contract ends, for the rest of the APS duration, I can only work for 964 hours- time already worked in 1st 6 months?

    Thanks for your response in advance

    • Allison Lounes August 9, 2015, 3:47 am

      Just emailed you, Nimish.

  • Hooman August 7, 2015, 8:14 am

    Hi Allison,

    I currently hold an APS which expires in September and have not been able to find a CDI, so I have decided to either find a PhD course or a specialized masters course to increase my competencies.
    I was wondering if by doing a PhD or another course, I can renew my stay or change my status back to a student?

    I greatly appreciate your advice.
    Best regards

    • Allison Lounes August 9, 2015, 3:48 am

      I emailed you, Hooman.

      • Jessica August 22, 2015, 9:51 pm

        Dear Allison,

        I have the same problem. My APS ends Septembre 17th, but I have not found work to make the change of statut to Salarie. I would like to go back to being a Student, but the Nice prefecture told me it was impossible, and after a lot of persuading they took my dossier anyway, without giving me a recipisee. I am waiting for a reply. It has been nearly a month since my RDV the 23rd July.

        Do you think it is possible to be a student again? I have applied to study a different instrument to the one I studied before in Paris. I would like to study more because it would increase my chances of finding a job.

        Here is more about my situation:
        I am an orchestral musician. I had found work in my last year as a student, before I got my APS. I won an interim position to replace a sick person in an orchestra. I was given a contract CDD 7 months minimum emploi and after that, if the person returns I have to leave. I did not think that I could have a titre de sejour Salarie on this contract because I thought that the prefecture would only give it to me for 7 months because this was the guaranteed duration, so I did not even think it was a possibility. Anyway, I heard about the APS and I knew that it was 1yr, so I applied for it and got it. I ended up working with the orchestra for 1,5 years. The person I replaced never came back and the orchestra stopped my contract on the 2 August. The orchestra will organise another audition for the same post, but this time with a CDI contract, in mid-December. Because I have played with them already it would mean that I would have quite a good chance of getting the job. The big problem is, all foreigners must already be in possession of a carte de sejour at the time of inscription. The closing date is 4 december..

        Thank you so much for your help. It really means a lot to me.

      • Aymen omar November 2, 2015, 4:23 pm

        I have exactly the same situation.
        Can you forward the email to me.
        Thanks for your help
        Aymen Omar

  • Siddharth August 8, 2015, 12:43 pm

    I have a question regarding the connection between APS and PhD. I will finish my masters in france in August(2015) and planning to apply for APS. However I am also interested in doing Phd. As I got to know once I accept APS, I can’t enroll as a Phd student. But this condition is not clear to me. Suppose I get a Phd offer after accepting APS then,

    1. Is it possible to cancel the APS status and apply freshly for student/scientific VISA?
    2. Is accepting APS permanently makes me disqualified for doing Phd in France OR is it only during the valid period of APS I can’t get enrolled as PhD student?

    I really need to know this. Please reply asap.

    Thanking in advance!

    • Allison Lounes August 9, 2015, 3:55 am

      I emailed you, Siddharth.

      • Anil September 16, 2015, 3:00 pm

        I have the same situation here. Could you also forward the email to me as well? Thanks a lot!

        • Jamie March 15, 2016, 9:39 pm

          Salut Allison,

          I have the same inquiry as Siddharth, could you please enlighten me with the details?

          Thank you very much in advance

          Yours Sincerely

          Siddharth August 8, 2015, 12:43 pm
          I have a question regarding the connection between APS and PhD. I will finish my masters in france in August(2015) and planning to apply for APS. However I am also interested in doing Phd. As I got to know once I accept APS, I can’t enroll as a Phd student. But this condition is not clear to me. Suppose I get a Phd offer after accepting APS then,

          1. Is it possible to cancel the APS status and apply freshly for student/scientific VISA?
          2. Is accepting APS permanently makes me disqualified for doing Phd in France OR is it only during the valid period of APS I can’t get enrolled as PhD student?

          I really need to know this. Please reply asap.

          Thanking in advance!

    • Tim January 14, 2016, 5:51 am

      Hey Siddharth

      Have you any update to share ? Did you get a PhD?


  • Nitish August 10, 2015, 8:31 am

    Hi Allison,

    I have some queries regarding APS.

    Currently, I am holding an APS visa for job search and it is about to expire in October.
    I have not yet found a job with CDI and looking forward to renew it by taking up another Master course (specialised one).
    Would I be given student visa on APS? If not, then which visa, I can apply for?
    For my second master, would I be eligible for another APS as I am not sure, if I can hold multiple APS visa in France following multiple degrees higher or equivalent to Master?

    Please, I really appreciate your advice.

    Best Regards,


  • Mackenzie September 20, 2015, 1:45 pm

    Hello Allison,

    I’ve been living in France for the past three years and really enjoy your blog! It’s like an American expat’s Bible.

    Do you happen to know just HOW picky the prefecture can be when it looks at how a job is related to my degree? I just received a master’s from a program entitled “Translation Technologies” but this program also included courses in intercultural communication, business, etc, and I’m hoping to actually find a job that includes translation but deals more with communication and business. Do you think the prefecture will take one look at the name of my degree and refuse any job offer title that says something other than “translator”?

    Many thanks!!

    • Allison Lounes September 21, 2015, 12:14 am

      I don’t think so. When in doubt, include a copy of your transcript that shows the variety of courses you took, and maybe even the program’s brochure from the university for good measure. Can never hurt to provide more information than necessary.

  • Aditya September 24, 2015, 5:57 pm

    Hello Allison,

    I cannot start to thank you enough for the help your blog is! On behalf of the entire student community in France, I thank you once again.

    I completed my MBA from Nantes and got my initial visa extended at Nantes, which they did not beyond end of November.

    I am now in Paris doing an internship till Dec so I emailed the prefecture for an appointment to extend. They didn’t reply for weeks and then suddenly mailed my evening post 17 that I should come next morning at 8:35. After changing, correcting and printing extra documents tweet wanted all morning at the Boulevard Ney, when my token came on, they say that their email was wrong and they cannot extend it beyond 3 months now and I should come later. With this, they themselves appointed me an appointment 3 days before my expiry, which is crazy last minute and they might not even extend beyond Dec end.
    I wanted to apply for APS, so I told them that I’ll come in October instead to extend till Dec end and then immediately apply for APS. But now when I go online to take an appointment, it doesn’t allow me to take one in October and instead shows me that my appointment is still end of November.
    I’m stuck because of a wrong email from their end and then booking an appointment without asking me.
    This was by far my 4th visit to any prefecture (including Nantes and Paris) and no progress but only more problems getting created by the bureaucracy errors.
    Kindly advice on what I should do next.
    I appreciate your expert feedback.

    Best Regards,

  • muhammed October 6, 2015, 7:30 pm

    Hello Allison,
    Am curently a master 2 student in international relations and am opening a company soon with a partner who is a French citizen , and the company will be on international trade , will really like to know what are the procedures for a student with such intention to change his status from student to resident . or is there an actual capital base i have to have . thanks

    • Allison Lounes October 7, 2015, 11:22 am

      You will have to change your status to commerçant, and it depends on what role you will have in the company. Please email me if you would like my help with this process.

  • Ashwin PATIL October 8, 2015, 5:50 pm

    Hello Allison,

    I am hired by French firm and requested for change of status. I have received positive response from DIRECCTE. but now, company is having financial problems and about to shut down. They have received some letter to pay about my change of status.
    Can you guide me in this condition?

    Thank you.

    Ashwin PATIL

    • Allison Lounes October 8, 2015, 7:21 pm

      If you have a signed contract then they’re on the hook for the DIRECCTE fees and probably for your ‘licenciement économique.’ In this case, you probably need to consult an employment lawyer.

  • Amit Gupta October 13, 2015, 5:23 pm


    I finished my masters 20 days ago & I failed to apply for APS before the date of expiry. Is there any way to get APS ? Is it Possible to get it after visa expiration ?

    Thanks & Regards

    • Allison Lounes October 14, 2015, 4:16 pm

      Your visa is expired, or your master’s is complete? Or both? If your visa is expired you probably won’t be able to get APS.

  • Roy October 14, 2015, 12:52 pm

    Hello Allison,

    I have the CDI contract and applied to change my status from Student to Salaried. The company got the positive response from the Direccte – and it is mentioned that I’ll go to the prefecture after visiting the Doctor. I am not getting this point. Though I didn’t receive any letter from Prefecture or anywhere. The Direccre has sent above letter to my company and my manager has given me a copy of that.

    My question to you is what is the next step? how long I need to wait ? Will the prefecture send me some letter to me ? I recently visited to the prefecture and showed to the copy of that letter. They told me to submit again the copy of my APS, Passport and Justification de domicile.

    I have another question – I heard that the “titre de séjour pluriannuel”. How can I apply for that – what are the papers I need to show or the process.

    Thanks and Regards,

    • Allison Lounes October 14, 2015, 4:10 pm

      The OFII should now send you or your manager an email with an appointment date and time. How long it takes depends on your department and how booked they are. Don’t miss that date – you only get to miss it once. If you miss it a second time, you’re out.

      You can apply for a ten year resident card once you have been in France for at least 5 years.

  • Changement de status October 19, 2015, 2:37 pm

    Hi Allison Lounes,
    I have read all your responses here and they are quite helpful.
    I would like to address my questions via email.
    I would be glad to get a response.


    • Allison Lounes October 20, 2015, 10:48 pm

      Sure. My email is allison at You can also schedule a Pick My Brain here:

  • JG October 20, 2015, 8:56 am

    Hello! I am currently on APS after finishing my Masters in Paris, and I’ve been offered a CDD of 1 year that is only 2 days/week. Am I to assume that I am not allowed to take the job? It is in connection to my degree but it’s not full time and so I think it isn’t eligible? Also, when I was at the Prefecture, I was told my APS “had no restrictions”, which I am now finding out is not true (the 60% of hours, the full time thing…) Which now begs the question, when applying for jobs, is it “correct” to say I am authorized to work in France? Say I accepted an offer today, am I be allowed to start working before going to the prefecture with the change of status application? In order to be completely honest with my employer, I must inform them of the fee they’ll have to pay to hire me or is that common knowledge?

    Sorry for all the questions, I’m just a little lost.

    Thank you!

    • Allison Lounes October 20, 2015, 10:55 pm

      You can take the CDD as long as you haven’t met the 964h/year limit for your student visa, but it won’t be enough to change your status to salarié. You will have to remain on APS, which is technically student status, and continue to look for a CDI that meets the proper conditions. You can leave a CDD without penalty to take a CDI.

      Your employer should be familiar wih the conditions of APS. It’s not your job to inform them.

  • Nehad October 21, 2015, 8:27 am

    Dear Alison,

    Thanks for Your useful informations regarding The APS .

    I just need a simple clarification if my Student visa Will ends The 31 of October çan I still apply for The APS ? Noting that i got my master degree des months ago and now I found a job but am waiting for The contract so I do still apply for The APS ?
    Many Thanks

  • Ashwin PATIL October 22, 2015, 10:15 am

    Hello Allison,

    First of all, sorry to disturb you.
    If possible, I would like to get answer regarding my visa status.

    Currently, I am in process of change of status from etudiant to salaire. My company has made payment of 1513 euros to OFII on 16 Oct 2015. Now, due to finance reason, my company is going to shut down in 1 week. (I am working in this company since 1 year and visa process took aprrox 8 months now)

    Do you think, OFII still grant me visa?

    Please do needful.

  • Gilberto BP October 30, 2015, 12:22 am

    Hello Allison,

    First, thanks you so much for all help!!!
    I have an APS, and soon it’s going to expire but I didn’t find any job before, but the last months I got seriouslys job opening according to my résumé, and I got some calls for interviews, but they’re going to give me an answer after my expiration date. Can I have an extension at least 2 or 3 months of this APS???

    Can I have an APT with a CDD 3 Months in the meantime to wait an answer from the others openings ?

    Thanks you so much!!

  • Kate October 30, 2015, 8:46 pm

    Hello Allison,

    Thank you for the helpful post. I’ve read all your responses but I couldn’t find a solution to my situation. I currently have an APS (I haven’t worked under it) and I have been offered a 2 year CDD. Can I apply for a carte de sejour salarie permit? This page seems to suggest that I can Or does it not qualify since it’s not a CDI? What options does my employer have?

  • patricia November 7, 2015, 5:01 pm

    Hi Alisson

    How are you doing? I would just like to ask some questions regarding working in france after graduation. I am currently in my 2nd year of master’s at the University of Orleans. I am doing a Masters Degree International Languages, International Business and European Management. I will be doing the stage de fin des etudes from february to july 2016. It is a stage de pre-embauche. I understand that if my employer wants to hire me, the job has to be related to my course, I have to get paid 1.5 times the SMIC. I would like to know if on top of those conditions, they have to prove that no other French person can do the job that they will offer me? Is that correct? And before getting employed I need to do apply for a non-renewable residency permit valid for 6 months following the expiration of the student residency permit?

    Please let me know

    Thank you


  • Stara November 23, 2015, 12:02 am

    Hi Allison, Do you know if it’s possible for a foreign (non EU) student (5th and last year, so masters) to apply for auto-entrepreneur status as well as this APS or instead of it? Have you heard of anyone who’s done it? Thanks in advance!

    • Allison Lounes November 23, 2015, 12:34 pm

      Hi Stara,
      You can’t do autoentrepreneur on APS, but you can put together a business plan and apply for a commerçant or profession libérale status to work as an autoentrepreneur. Please email me at allison at if you might want help with this.

  • Sivan November 24, 2015, 5:50 pm

    Dear Allison,

    One of my friend is on APS. He got an opportunity to join an internship+PhD. But he could avail this offer only if he’s a current student. So he wants to join a Masters. Is it possible for a person on APS to join another masters?

  • Abby November 25, 2015, 11:46 pm

    Hi Allison,

    What makes you say that you can’t do auto entrepreneur on APS? It’s possible as a student, so I’m not sure why it wouldn’t be on APS. Thanks in advance for your reply!

    • Allison Lounes November 26, 2015, 2:02 am

      Actually, there’s a contentious debate about whether you’re allowed to be autoentrepreneur as a student. Students are allowed to work a certain number of hours, and autoentrepreneur is not measured in hours. It’s one of those things that a lot of people do, but officially, if you get caught, the préfecture might ask you to switch your status (in which case you better have a really freaking good business plan / client base so your new visa gets approved. Otherwise you get the boot.)

      APS is also designed to allow graduating students to seek full-time employment. While you’re allowed to keep your part-time student job (up to 964h/year) while seeking a full-time gig, doing AE while on APS seems like it would be more beneficial to the employer – to hire you for a short period of time and get out of paying the OFII tax, while being absolutely no benefit to you. (FYI: this is super illegal.)

      Finally, if you’re planning on being a freelancer permanently, you shouldn’t be on APS because you should instead file an application to switch to ‘profession libérale’ or ‘commerçant’ status to be able to be self-employed full-time. I’m not sure the préfecture would look favorably on such an application after a year of APS in which you were ‘unsuccessful’ in finding a job (because instead you were continuing to freelance as an AE). I can’t comment on whether or not they’d approve your visa, but they would certainly ask you to explain yourself and scrutinize your business plan very carefully.

      • William January 27, 2016, 3:43 pm

        Hello Allison,

        I wanted to ask if a person is a freelancer during his/her APS Master and if he/she works as a freelancer for a company outside France (like someone based in Spain) within 964 hours for the stipulated time-frame, does the person need to pay any taxes ? If so, is there any money limit above which the person has to pay taxes ?

        • Allison Lounes January 27, 2016, 10:51 pm

          Yes, you need to pay French taxes for any work you do while you live in France.

          Whether or not you’re allowed to freelance while on a student visa or APS is ambiguous in the law, with many saying that you can’t. If you want to freelance full time, you need to switch to an entrepreneur visa rather than an APS/salarié visa.

          • William February 13, 2016, 9:58 pm

            Thank you for your kind reply Allison. Could you please direct me to the concerned authorities to whom the person can pay the taxes. The job offered was just for a period of just one and half month though.

  • Pratik dadhania December 2, 2015, 6:15 am

    Hi allison,

    I did my M2 international business in INSEEC BUSINESS ECOLE -paris
    I was doing an internship in Airbus toulouse for 6 months and there i got my carte de sejour temporarie untill january 2016 as my student visa was just untill sept 2015,
    I finished my internship and My graduation ceremony is in April 2016.
    Now can i apply for APS in january??? Or should i go with the letter from college that my graduation is in april ??? For further visa renewal

  • Tenmogi December 3, 2015, 4:49 pm

    Hello Allison

    I came to france on Sept 2012, currently i am doing my Phd. I am having 3 years Carte de sejour upto 2018.

    I didn’t have bourse, but I am working as a Professor in the University for one year CDD contract (2014 and 2015). Currenly I have 2 years of work experience as a Professor in France, but still my status is ‘Student’

    My Question is that:

    I am willing to change my status as “Salarie”. As I am having one yr CDD contract. Is it possible??

    This is my 4 th year in France and my nationality is “Indienee”

    IS there any rules in terms of SMIC and the hours to work for a salarie.

    Could you please guide me??
    I really appreciate your help


    • Allison Lounes December 3, 2015, 10:24 pm

      Hi Tenmogi,

      There are several different issues here and I would have to know more about your contract and your studies in order to answer your questions. Please schedule a Pick My Brains session ( if you would like to discuss.

  • Neville December 8, 2015, 9:28 pm

    Hi Alison,

    I have completed my masters in 2011. Can i apply for aps in india or outside france? And is CDI jobs easily given to non europeans (indians).


    • Allison Lounes December 9, 2015, 11:07 am

      Unfortunately, no. You have to have applied before the expiration of your (then) current carte de séjour.

  • Anuraag Kapoor December 10, 2015, 4:18 pm

    Hello ,

    I have got my APS visa . Is it possible for me to get enrolled in another course of language or another Master Degree program now ?

    Kindly let me know .

    Thank You !

    Have a Good Day !

  • isabel December 11, 2015, 4:43 pm

    Hello Allison,

    i have finished my course in Paris and i will apply for an APS, but after being at the prefecture for 4 times they said i can only do it on the week my visa will be expiring. My Question is, can i apply for another studend visa (french language course) now and in february apply for an APS?

    Since there are a lot of problems with APS in Paris i am afraid i´ll do ri last minute and they will say no, so that´s why my question on the student visa. Thank you

  • Tanvir December 29, 2015, 4:55 pm

    Hello Allison, hope you are fine. This blog is very helpful for us and I would like to give you thanks from my heart for arranging such kind of helpful discussion.

    It would be very helpful for me if you could please give me an answer to this question:

    I finished my Master’s M2 in July 2015 and changed my student status into Salary as I got a job as a Project Manager. Now if I want to do PhD or want to study again next year can I change my Salary status into student status (for study) or scientific researcher status (incase of PhD)?

    I would appreciate your valuable comment.

    • Allison Lounes December 31, 2015, 12:28 pm

      You can probably change to Scientifique, but I don’t think you’d be able to change back to student.

  • Ariane January 19, 2016, 5:37 pm

    Hello Allison,

    I have a peculiar situation and I was wondering if you could help.

    My student visa expired in September. I was a master student in a school in Nice.
    I got an internship in Paris and had to move out immediately.
    Due to many things, I couldn’t book the appointment on time. The accommodation I had near Paris couldn’t give me the documents I needed to file at the Prefecture there.

    Now, my internship in Paris ended in December and so did my Master degree.

    I’m no longer a student and so the school cannot help me renew my visa and neither am I hired to maybe change my status.

    What are my options? I want to be able to return for my graduation in June and also be able to follow up on a business relationship I have started with a company here in Nice.

    Many thanks,

    • Allison Lounes January 20, 2016, 3:45 pm

      I can’t answer based on the information provided. Please schedule a Pick My Brain session if you would like to discuss the particulars of your situation.

  • Ashwin PATIL January 20, 2016, 3:42 pm


    First of all thank you for this help !!!
    I have done my change if status and then my employer got shut down due to licencement economique. Now I have new job. Do I need to do change of status procedure again?

    Ashwin PATIL

  • Hardin January 20, 2016, 5:23 pm

    Your website is doing a great job. Thank for being there. There are some of us who believe in second chances. How does this play out, I am no longer in France for but my APS just came out, by special arrangement, can I authorise somebody along with my details to pickup my APS on my behalf?

    Thank you.

  • Samarth January 20, 2016, 6:26 pm

    I am doing MBA from Neoma Business School
    Is it necessary that our college should be registered in RNCP for Applying APS
    if not Still I will be Eligible for APS
    I will be finishing in July and my Visa Expires on august

  • Jessie January 23, 2016, 12:31 pm


    Youre answers are extremely helpful.
    May I know if students from SKEMA business school are elligible for an APS visa?

    Thank you for your support.

  • Faz January 25, 2016, 1:28 am


    I have graduated in one of business school in Lyon and I have already got my APS Visa. Recently I got an offer from a company that based in another country in EU. Can I use my APS Visa as my work permit? Or Should the company give sponsorship workit permit for me?
    Thanks in advance.


    • Allison Lounes January 25, 2016, 4:14 pm

      You will have to check the rules of the country where you’ve been offered employment. I’m not familiar with visa rules for other countries.

  • Caria January 28, 2016, 12:52 pm

    Hi Allison,

    I would like to apply for naturalisation using the 2-year postgraduate route. It’s written down under the citizenship rules but I’m wondering if it’s not as straight forward as earning a 2 year degree in France. Which is why I’m thinking that the other commenters are looking for APS as opposed to just direct citizenship, if that makes sense? Any information on this?

    Many thanks.

    • Allison Lounes January 28, 2016, 5:15 pm

      You don’t automatically get citizenship because you graduated in France. You have to prove financial stability, which usually means being in a CDI after the ‘période d’essai’ and paying taxes.

      If you apply for naturalization directly after graduating, you’ll be refused and have to wait 2 years to reapply.

  • Manobala January 29, 2016, 7:04 pm

    Hi Allison,

    I graduated from University of Lorraine with a M2 degree. The program I was enrolled in was a dual degree program, with my first Masters from France and the next from Ireland. Unfortunately my visa processing for Ireland took a long time, and the university in Ireland requested the Irish embassy to reject my visa application as they had concluded that I would be unable to catch up with the classes I missed whilst waiting for my visa.

    So, I didn’t have the the necessity to apply for APS. But now I’m back to my country, India and I would like to search for jobs in France. I would like to know whether I can apply for APS from India. Thank you in advance.

  • Varun February 6, 2016, 3:03 am

    Hi Alison,
    I completed all my academic requirements in July, 2015 from ESCP, Paris and i moved to Belgium for work. But things did not work out the way i expected them to so i am ending my contract this month. I did not apply for an APS when i had the opportunity in Paris and i graduated last December. Is there still some way for me to get an APS or some sort of a visa to stay in France while i search for a full time job there. This is imperative since i might not have a lot of time here in Belgium once i finish my contract. Any information on this topic would be really appreciated.
    Thank you.

  • Mackenzie February 6, 2016, 8:32 pm

    Hi again Allison,

    A few months ago I left a comment (thanks for you reply!) and now I’m looking at a different possibility to stay in France.

    I have an APS valid until December, and my job hunt has been discouraging (at best). I’m considering a formation en alternance. I know that you can do a formation en alternance with pretty much any kind of TDS or récépissé. Do you know if the Prefecture would give me another TDS étudiant to do this? And if they did, could I be given another APS once I was done with the formation en alternance?

    Thanks a million.

  • Sankar February 7, 2016, 6:46 pm

    Hi Allison

    I have a doubt regarding APS
    I recieved my APS recently,but i need to go to my home country on a vacation for 2 to 3 months.can u suggest me how many months can i stay back in my home country

  • Keerthana February 7, 2016, 8:03 pm

    Hi Allison,
    I just came across this blogpost of your’s, and I’d like to check whether I am eligible for APS and/or chômage as well.
    I am an Indian passport holder, I moved to Paris in Sept 2010 through an international PhD program in neuroscience. The first year consisted of laboratory rotations, and I was on a titre de séjour étudiant. The PhD began in Sept 2011 and I defended my thesis in Sept 2015. For these 4 years, I was on a titre de séjour étudiant with an autorisation de travail, so I was considered salariée and paid taxes. I am currently employed as a postdoctoral researcher, on a 6 month work contract with a titre de séjour status scientifique-chercheur. My work contract expires on 31st March 2016, and my titre de séjour expires 30th April 2016. I would like to know if I can apply for the APS on account of holding a French doctorate, but with a 6 month visa scientifique since obtaining the PhD. I am also job hunting, but just in case I can’t renew my current work contract or land a new job by April, would I be eligible for chômage?
    Many thanks!

  • Varun February 8, 2016, 9:09 am

    Hi Allison,

    I requested for some information on APS on this platform 2 days back but i have noticed that the question has been removed. As a moderator were there any issues on your end in answering that question?. Kindly let me know by mail if this platform is not the right medium for that.

    Thanking you,
    Varun Challa

  • Aradhyula Vineela February 8, 2016, 7:53 pm

    Your answers are interesting and very useful.I am no longer in France and I have a doubt that can anyone collect my APS from prefecture on my behalf. Please reply.

  • johnny boghossian February 10, 2016, 1:41 pm

    Good Morning Allsion, I am johnny from Beirut, Lebanon. I am in the process of applying to masters program in Paris and I wanted to know about the APS before. I saw that one of the conditions is that the university should be accredited. First, how can I know which universities are accredited in Paris? Second I was applying to Inseec and they told me their masters program are not accredited. Does it mean that I can’t apply for APS? Thank you so much for your help.

  • Avantika February 14, 2016, 7:55 pm

    Dear Alison,
    I am a masters student and I completed my internship while on student visa. So I have never applied for an APS. The company has decided to hire me with a CDD. Now is there a minimum of 1.5 Smic that they are obliged to pay me? How much minimum are they obliged to pay considering I will apply for a visa- salarie but not via APS, just as a change from student- to salarie?
    Will really appreciate your help!

  • shiori February 16, 2016, 11:08 am

    Hi! i will get RNCP level 1 certification. I could apply for APS?

  • Melissa February 16, 2016, 3:10 pm

    Hi Alison,

    Firstly I wanted to stay how incredibly helpful your blog us for us expats! Secondly, I’m hoping to get your opinion based on my position.
    I am a second year master’s student in France studying for my MBA, and I’ve just been offered a full-time working position from an American/French Company with a salary higher than the SMIC base of 1300 euros. I am currently on my student visa until the end of this year (December 12th, 2016). In order to legally accept and work this position, I could in a sense, file a promesse d’embauche (or have the company file this) at the prefecture to change my visa from student to full time working visa, or I should file for APS? I’ve also found that the AMCHAM sponsors and 18 month working visa as well but it is non-renewable after 18 months which could pose a problem. I would appreciate any advice you have to give!


    • Allison Lounes February 17, 2016, 6:00 pm

      You can switch directly from ‘student’ to ‘salarié’ without going through APS, but you’ll have an easier time if you have a CDI, and the company will only have to pay the tax once. If you switch jobs before you renew, the new company would have to pay the tax again.

  • vjona February 20, 2016, 10:06 pm

    Hi Allison,
    thank you a lot for the information above it is really useful. I am currently a master student in Paris, but it is under the program of Erasmus Mundus (coursese are done in English), so my question it is am i eligible to apply for an APS? Currently i am doing the internship in Paris-Sud and I am albanese.
    Thank you very much in advance for your reply!
    Wish you the best 🙂

  • Sarah February 23, 2016, 7:42 pm

    Hi Allison,

    I am finishing my master’s degree at an American university in Paris and I have been offered a CDD for 2 months at the same company I have been working a full-time internship. My student visa does not expire until November. My question is:
    – Can they pay me a normal salary? I am currently earning the minimum intern salary.
    – Am I allowed to have a CDD on a student visa?

    Thank you!

    • Allison Lounes February 24, 2016, 2:57 pm

      Yes, and yes. Congrats!

  • Sarnavi MAHESH February 27, 2016, 6:14 pm

    Bonjour Allison,

    I hold an APS after completing my Master’s in October 2015. I have an interview to attend in Belgium for a job. Can I travel to Belgium with the APS or I need any other documents ?

    I know that with a D type Schengen Visa or a French Student residence permit I can visit other countries in Schengen region, but I want to know if it is possible to travel with an APS ?

    • Sarnavi MAHESH March 1, 2016, 3:45 pm

      I don’t know, that is why I am here to ask.

  • Kaylen March 3, 2016, 1:58 am

    Salut Allison!

    I’m an American, and I’m looking into a Masters in Paris Studies at the University of London Institute in Paris. My main concern is that this university is technically a UK one, so I’m not sure if I’d qualify for the APS afterwards, even though the school is technically located in Paris, and the study itself is about French culture. Do you know anything about how the APS does/not work for non-French universities within France?

    Thanks for your help,

  • NARESH KHANDELWAL March 4, 2016, 7:16 am


    I am planning to do my masters in Fashion and Luxury Brand Management from France.
    I would like to know if below universities are eligible for APS (autorisation provisoire de séjour) i.e after graduating from any one of these universities I will be able to apply for APS and extend my student visa for one year.

    1.IPAG Business School
    2.IESA, Paris
    3.ISC Paris
    4.Neoma BS
    5.ESC School of Business, Rennes
    6.IDRAC Business School
    8.Mod’Art International

    Kindly advise as I am unable to get correct info.

  • Jessica March 20, 2016, 7:44 pm

    Hi Allison,

    First of all, thank you so much for all the detailed information on your website! This is regularly my first stop every time France lobs another bureaucratic problem my way.

    I have a question related to the changement de statut from APS to salarié. I’m currently on an APS and got hired for a CDI, so I submitted my dossier meeting all the requirements, but I just found out it’s been rejected because they don’t esteem my Master’s program to be sufficiently related to the job.

    I’m planning to appeal this, but the problem is that I’ve yet to receive the official paper refusal allowing me to formally contest it (I only heard about the refusal informally from someone from DIRECCTE over the phone). I am told that there is a 2-month delay to be aware for the appeal, but (as usual) I’m getting conflicting information about what specifically that encompasses. I’m wondering if you know if you have 2 months to appeal from the date when they claim they sent the refusal, or rather, it’s a 2-month waiting period from when I drop off the appeal? I’m nervous it’s the first case, in which I’ve already lost a month waiting for Direccte to get back to me…

    Thanks a lot in advance for any advice you can offer!

    • Allison Lounes March 21, 2016, 5:27 pm

      Normally you get 2 months to respond to DIRECCTE and appeal from the time you get the letter of refusal, and then they get an additional 2 months to respond. I would call back to see when they are going to be providing an official refusal so you can begin the appeals process.

  • Adi March 31, 2016, 1:03 am

    Hello Allison,

    Thanks for an enlightning blog and eloborate explanations. I am doing an end of study internship that will last for 2 more months. I applied for APS as my Visa is set to expire. Should I have to quit my internship if my APS arrives before complettion of stage? Should I have to inform my current company about any change of status?

    Thanks for your help.

  • Sanjana March 31, 2016, 10:06 pm

    Hi Allison,

    I have a question about APS!

    I just got my APS in Feb this year and i am looking for CDI or CDD

    Can i do a part time job like working in a cafe while i am on APS status looking for CDI

    Would be great if you can shed some light on this matter



    • Allison Lounes April 1, 2016, 3:13 pm

      Yes, you can continue working up to 964h a week on a ‘student’ type job (unrelated to your degree) while you seek fulltime employment.

  • Dasola April 1, 2016, 7:16 pm

    Hello Allison,

    I have a question about the changement de statut. I currently have my APS which expires in August but I just got a 6 months work contract and the company want me to apply for Autorisation de Travail. So my questions are, is the Autorisation de travail the same as changement de statut? or is it the same thing as a work permit? When I apply for the changement de statut, does that mean my visa would be extended? I’m really confused and the company doesn’t seem to know anything about it as well. I will really appreciate your help and advice on this.

    Thank you

    • Allison Lounes April 1, 2016, 11:27 pm

      No, ‘changement de statut’ changes you to a salaried worker visa. ‘Autorisation de travail’ just allows you to work while you’re a student (technically companies are supposed to declare they’re hiring you before you begin working, if you’re a foreigner).

      I am happy to guide you through the process on this if you email me for a fee quote at allison (at)

  • Lex April 1, 2016, 7:57 pm

    Hi Allison,
    I have read online that if I complete 2 years of higher education e.g masters, I am able to apply for naturalization?

    • Allison Lounes April 1, 2016, 11:23 pm

      The short answer is yes. The long answer is that there are a lot of criteria they’ll look at, notably your attachments to France and your financial stability.

  • Anuraag KAPOOR April 12, 2016, 9:23 pm

    Hello ,

    I have got my APS “Autorisation Provisoire de Sejour” visa in November 2015 and it is getting expired on 1st November , 2016 . With my recent knowledge , I have come to know that with new rules of French Embassy , APS “Autorisation Provisoire de Sejour” visa for Indians is now valid for 2 years and can be renewed after one year for the upcoming second year .
    Could you please confirm about this news and let me know with some extra knowledge about this .

    Thank You !

  • Nichole April 16, 2016, 11:53 pm

    I’ve been planning on doing my masters in France for a while now and I was wondering if after the APS expires what visa do people usually switch to if they are still working in a company?

    • Allison Lounes April 17, 2016, 6:54 pm

      As soon as you get a salaried job on APS, you switch from APS to ‘salarié.’ You do not stay ‘salarié’ once you have found work.

  • Christopher Alex April 19, 2016, 12:01 am

    Hello there
    I am an Indian a d I recently came here for a 1 year m2 mba course IPAG saint germain, but now everyone keeps telling me that I cant extend my visa after course as I have to complete 5 years of education (3 years of bachelors and 1 yr mba)(have 2 years work exp) etc. Plz I would appreciate any help in understanding this matter.

  • Larah April 19, 2016, 11:18 am

    Hello Alison!
    I want to do an MBA in Paris and i would like to know if it possible to take APS after MBA?

    Thank you!!

  • AAD April 19, 2016, 1:53 pm

    Hello Allison,

    Thank you very much for this blog, very informative and helpful. I have an issue regarding the APS and I hope you can help with your opinion. I applied for the APS first in February and I was given one till April temporarily pending the time my masters result was out. Now, my masters result is out and I have been waiting for the Prefecture (which is Rennes) to respond to me. The problem is the temporary APS is now expired, and I cannot wait anymore as I have found a CDI already.
    I’m wondering if it is possible to go to another Prefecture in a different city to try and get the 1 year APS or if I need to wait in Rennes because my dossier is there.
    I noticed the next appointment dates in Rennes are in August but I found a prefecture for a possible appointment this month.

    Please advise.

    Thanks in advance

  • arpman April 22, 2016, 8:23 pm

    Hi Allison,
    My friend is on APS.
    We’d like to know if its possible to do an internship on APS?
    And is it possible to prolong an APS, in case the applicant is not able to secure a job?
    Could you please let us know?


  • bhagyasri April 30, 2016, 9:13 am

    I am Bhagyasri,Citizen of India.Actually i am applying for 1 year course Msc (M2) in Commercial Engineering & Project Management in INSEEC Business school.I would like to know if this INSEEC are eligible for APS (autorisation provisoire de séjour)?Could you please give me information regarding this…After completion of course,Am i eligible for apply APS visa?
    I would appreciate your valuable comment.
    Thanks in Advance

  • Akila May 6, 2016, 10:05 am


    I have a certification qualification professionnelle and could I request APS visa for the same ?

    Thanks ,

  • Emma May 8, 2016, 5:10 pm


    First thing is first: Thank you for your expertise, extremely useful to us seeking some light in this bureaucratic maze!

    This is my situation.
    I am a non European with a a Researcher visa type D (BNL, B12) and a Belgian titre de sejour temporaire. I don’t have a contract with the Belgian university and I was recently offered a CDI in Paris. Do I need an authorization to work from DIRECCTE? If such is the case, how long does the authorization take? In a post you mentioned that an authorization to work is for students changing status; that’s not my case, so where do post PhD’s stand?

    Another option I was thinking: I have family and bank accounts proving I regularly come to France, would it make a difference if I tried applying once in French territory as a someone already living in France? Thank you again.

    • Allison Lounes May 9, 2016, 11:32 am

      Yes, you need authorization from DIRECCTE and your visa will need to be sponsored. Depending on the position/level, this shouldn’t be too difficult with a PhD.

      You need to apply for the visa at the French consulate in Belgium. It can take around 8 weeks.

  • Sheetal May 11, 2016, 12:53 pm

    Hi Allison,
    I am student doing 2 years Master’s in engineering from September 2014. University is in Grenoble. But I have been doing master’s thesis in an industry Saint Etienne since February 2016. I have not changed the address on my titre de sejour-so the address is still from Grenoble. Last day in industry is 30 June 2016 and thesis defense is in first week of July.
    Can I apply too the prefecture in Saint Etienne for APS visa? Should I apply now?

  • Aymen Omar May 15, 2016, 10:59 am

    Thank you for the useful information
    I hold an APS that will expire in Augaust and I didn’t find a job. Can I change my status back to student by doing a PhD?

  • Bethany May 16, 2016, 6:51 pm

    Hello Allison!

    Thank you for all the useful information on your site! It has certainly been helpful during the 3 years I’ve been living in France.

    I’m currently finishing my Master 2 and am planning to apply for the APS visa. I was wondering if there’s anything that needs to be done in relation to the sécu – do you know if there’s anything that needs to be filed with CPAM/LMDE etc? (when I worked as a lecteur I forgot to turn in my new contract for the second year and had to redo all the paperwork to reestablish my account, so I wanted to make sure there isn’t something I’m missing).

    Again, thanks for all the information you provide to help!


    • Allison Lounes May 17, 2016, 10:52 am

      You will have to apply to change your ‘caisse’ once you have a new employer.

  • Dhanashree Paradkar May 20, 2016, 11:48 am

    hello I completed my masters degree and my graduation ceremony is in June. Can I go back to my country and apply for APS . My current visa expires in July

    • Allison Lounes May 20, 2016, 3:50 pm

      You need to apply for APS here before your visa expires.

  • Miskir May 20, 2016, 4:41 pm

    Dear Allison,
    Hope all is well with you!
    I have applied an APS visa last July and got it for a year. Fortunately I got a job outside France and have been working there since then. Now I finished my contract and wanted to get back to Paris.
    Would you think i will be offered an APS visa again? If so, What documents should I take to the prefecture? Should I apply online? I did not do an online application last year.

    Thanks for the cooperation

  • Khaled May 22, 2016, 8:59 pm

    I am now on APS, I applied for an MBA program and I was admitted. I would like to know if it is possible to go back to student after having the APS ?
    Thanks in advance
    Best regards

6 easy ways to get the help you need.

1. Read free articles on Paris Unraveled.

2. Pick My Brain. Schedule a 45 minute session to ask questions about anything France.

3. Join the community.

4. Hire Allison for personalized assistance.

5. Download an ebook.

6. Attend a live workshop or webinar.